Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Writing And Teaching Go Together ... Like a Horse and ...

Writing and teaching -- do they go together like a horse and carriage? Well, it would seem so. First of all, think of how many writers you know who were also teachers of some kind: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were two very famous writers who also happened to be professors. Coincidence? I think not.

A quick Google search for "teacher turned writer" brings up many results. There seem to be several people who straddle the line between teacher and writer. Writers who used to be teachers. Writers who still are teachers. Teachers who like to write "on the side." Beverley Lewis, the very well-known Amish writer comes to mind as a modern example.  She taught school for several years before becoming a full-time writer.

As well, I know that several writers on Hubpages, are talented teachers.  Writing and teaching go together so well because they are both cerebral pursuits. Writing is a form of teaching. I, myself, have always felt drawn between writing and teaching. I love both. And I think for many people who are like-minded to myself, the ideal life is when you can both write and teach, in some fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments nice and kind.